Go to a better blog!


You can find a better version of my blog at http://www.adammarkus.com/blog/.

Be sure to read my Key Posts on the admissions process. Topics include essay analysis, resumes, recommendations, rankings, and more.

May 17, 2008

Quick Review: HBS MBA Questions for Fall 2009 Admission

NOTE: I HAVE NOW PREPARED A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS OF THE HBS ESSAY QUESTIONS FOR FALL 2009 ADMISSION: Overall Strategy 1 2 3-1 3-2 3-3 3-4. Feel free to read the read post below, but I suggest you read my full analysis as the remarks below were merely tentative.

In honor of my client admitted to HBS 3rd round for 2008 who still reads my blog even though he does not need to, I wanted to give my immediate impression of the HBS questions that 2009 applicants will now start asking him about.

My full analysis of the HBS MBA Questions for Fall 2009 Admission will come out by mid-June, but in the meantime, here is my quick UPPERCASE take on them. See my Fall 2008 analysis for the questions that have not changed.

Two Required Questions: NO CHANGE. THE TWO REQUIRED QUESTIONS ARE PAST FOCUSED.

1. What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit)


NO CHANGE FROM 2007


2. What have you learned from a mistake? (400-word limit)

NO CHANGE FROM 2007.

3. Please respond to two of the following (400-word limit each):

FOUR instead of SIX questions to choose from. Unlike in past years, there is no question that specifically uses the word "leadership." That said, you better be able to show it.

1. What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?
NO CHANGE FROM 2007. THIS QUESTION IS PAST FOCUSED, BUT RELATES TO ONES FUTURE. IF THERE IS A STRONG CONNECTION BETWEEN UNDERGRAD ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE AND FUTURE PLANS, THIS MIGHT BECOME THE GOALS ESSAY. OR NOT.

2. Discuss how you have engaged with a community or organization.
NEW QUESTION. A LEADERSHIP QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO HAS SHOWN LEADERSHIP (ENGAGEMENT) IN ALMOST ANY CAPACITY. PAST FOCUSED.

3.What area of the world are you most curious about and why?
NEW QUESTION. GREAT QUESTION FOR THE INTERNATIONALLY MINDED AND ONE THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE CULTURE SHOCK. VERY FUTURE DIRECTED. COULD BE USED AS THE GOALS ESSAY FOR SOME APPLICANTS.

4.What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?
NO CHANGE FROM 2007. WHEN HBS MADE THEIR GOALS STATEMENT OPTIONAL LAST YEAR, I ADMIRED THEM . GLAD THEY DID IT AGAIN. STILL MANY APPLICANTS WILL WRITE IT. AS LONG YOU HAVE A GREAT VISION, YOU BETTER GET IN. THEY WILL NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WANT AN MBA (THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY IN GREAT DEPTH), SO YOU CAN WRITE IT HERE OR IN ANOTHER ESSAY IN THE SET. MOST APPLICANTS WILL WRITE THEIR GOALS IN EITHER ESSAY 1, ESSAY 3-1, 3-3 oR MORE OBVIOUSLY IN ESSAY 3-4.

Please note
: My comments above are subject to alteration after I think more completely about the new questions. Of course I am happy that I don't have as much work on my Harvard essay analysis this year!

Questions? Write comments or contact me directly at adammarkus@gmail.com.
-Adam Markus
アダム マーカス
カウンセリング コンサルティング エッセイMBA留学 ハーバード
Real Time Web Analytics